What – Work with public-school teachers in Mexico and with Peace Punta de Mita staff to lead elementary- and middle-school students during Peace Punta de Mita’s annual summer camp.
- Week one: Community projects
- Week two: Summer-camp training
- Week three, four, and five: Summer camp
Interns each lead a class of 10 to 15 students. Camp themes include: ecology, art, sports, theater, and social responsibility.
Peace Punta de Mita, AC interns also do the following:
- Have fun with fellow interns during organized evening and weekend excursions.
- Improve their language skills through daily classes and structured conversation time.
- Receive classroom training on topics such as presentation skills, critical thinking, conflict management, and leadership.
- Explore the beautiful towns and beaches of the Bahía de Banderas.
Why – Improve your foreign-language and leadership skills, gain valuable work experience and improve communities in Mexico.
Who – Eight to ten interns are selected each year. The characteristics of an ideal candidate include the following:
- An interest in teaching, business, language study, and community development.
- Caring, enthusiastic, and flexible personalities.
- Prior volunteer or work experience with children or work in developing countries, or both.
When – Five weeks in July and August.
Where – Communities and schools throughout the Banderas Bay, Mexico (Puerto Vallarta).
How it works – The program cost of $2,000 USD includes:
- Housing for five weeks.
- Weekend excursions.
- Personalized language instruction and textbooks.
- Training materials.
The program fee does not include: transportation, laundry, food, or personal spending money.
A limited number of scholarships are available for qualified candidates.